Wontumi’s Incarceration Will Not Stop His NPP Chairmanship Bid – Spokesperson
Credit: myjoyonline.com

Dr Palgrave Boakye-Dankwah, spokesperson for Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi, has insisted that the former Ashanti Regional Chairman’s incarceration will not derail his ambition to contest the New Patriotic Party (NPP) national chairmanship position.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Newsnight on Wednesday, August 19, Dr Boakye-Dankwah said supporters of Chairman Wontumi would pick up nomination forms on his behalf before the end of the week, despite questions surrounding his eligibility under the party’s constitution.
According to him, Chairman Wontumi remains committed to his bid to lead the NPP and intends to pursue the nomination process even while serving his prison sentence.
“Chairman Wontumi is a politician. His friends believe in his ambition, and they are going to make sure that his form will be picked, submitted and filed,” he said.
Dr Boakye-Dankwah argued that, in his view, there is no legal impediment preventing Chairman Wontumi or his representatives from obtaining and filing the nomination forms.
He explained that the supporters facilitating the process consider Chairman Wontumi a political prisoner and believe he should be given the opportunity to contest for the position.
“I’m certain that the friends of Chairman Wontumi premised their decision to pick up a form for him purely based on the party’s position on the imprisonment of Chairman Wontumi, considering him as a political prisoner,” he stated.
Eligibility Concerns
The development comes amid growing questions about whether Chairman Wontumi meets the eligibility requirements to contest for a national executive position, particularly in light of provisions in the NPP’s constitution concerning members who have been convicted and sentenced for certain offences.
However, Dr Boakye-Dankwah maintained that the campaign team would proceed with the nomination process and address any legal or procedural challenges that may arise.
He disclosed that the nomination forms are expected to be picked up on Friday and subsequently taken to Chairman Wontumi for his signature before they are submitted to the appropriate authorities.
“We will pick up the form, take it to him to sign and then submit and file it,” he said.
Campaign already underway
Dr Boakye-Dankwah also dismissed suggestions that Chairman Wontumi should suspend his political ambitions and concentrate exclusively on his legal battle.
He said the politician had already demonstrated his commitment to the chairmanship race by embarking on a nationwide campaign tour covering all 16 regions and 276 constituencies before his incarceration.
“Chairman was one of the first persons who stepped into the competition. He’s done his first round of the campaign already,” he said.
According to him, Chairman Wontumi’s supporters remain convinced that his incarceration should not automatically bring his political aspirations to an end.
Wontumi’s conviction
Chairman Wontumi was sentenced to 20 years’ imprisonment following his conviction in connection with illegal mining activities on the Samreboi concession in the Western Region.
Justice Audrey Kocuvie-Tay, presiding over the Criminal Division of the High Court, handed down the sentence shortly after 11:40 a.m. on Monday, July 20, 2026, bringing to an end one of Ghana’s closely watched illegal mining prosecutions.
The court also imposed a fine of 10,000 penalty units, equivalent to GH¢120,000, with a default sentence of three years’ imprisonment if the fine is not paid.
Despite the conviction and subsequent imprisonment, Dr Boakye-Dankwah says Chairman Wontumi’s supporters remain determined to pursue his bid for the NPP national chairmanship, setting the stage for a potentially significant contest over both his eligibility and the party’s internal electoral rules.



